(Page 1 of 3)
Why Invest in Timberland?
Much has been written on the financial and portfolio benefits of timberland investing over the past 25 years. Therefore, for the academic and quantitative foundation for making the general decision to invest in timberland, we would be happy to refer you to a number of sources upon request.
More relevant, we believe, is the practical basis for the decision by Green Crow to invest in timberland and why we continue to recommend to our clients and investors that they include timberland in their investment portfolio. Some of these reasons include:
- Competitive long-term returns on investment.
- Biological growth component is steady, low-risk and quantifiable.
- Wide optimum timber harvest window mitigates exposure to market downturns.
- The imperfect nature of the timberland markets benefits the active participants.
- Effective inter-generational wealth transfer tool.
- Strong land ethic and commitment to sustainable environments and communities.
At Green Crow, we focus on timberlands located on the west side of the Cascade Mountains in the states of Washington and Oregon because investment grade opportunities are abundant in the region, we are experienced and active in this market and we have access to potential deal flow. We also invest in appearance grade hardwood timberlands in New England, as well as fast growing radiata pine plantations in New Zealand.